Monday, June 14, 2010

Kierra's Courage



I met my friend Christy many years ago through a Mom’s Group that we were both involved in. She had 2 boys, Gavin and Kevin. About a year later, Christy and her husband who is in the Air Force announced that they were expecting a baby and they found out it’s a girl!

I attended the baby shower for baby Kierra and I came to see her at the hospital the day after she was born. I remember holding her thinking she’s such an adorable baby. At about 7 months old Kierra would experience something that would change her life and her family’s lives forever.

While her dad was deployed to Korea, Kierra had to be rushed to the hospital. She had been born with a Metabolic Disorder which meant her body could not process and break down fats. While at the hospital, Kierra had stopped breathing and had spent time without oxygen or a heart beat. After this event, the doctors informed Kierra's parents that she would be in a vegitative state, and at some point told her that Kierra would not make it. 2 years later, Kierra and her mom Christy are still fighting. Her full story can be read here: http://www.kierrascourage.com/

At one time before Christy was pregnant, we happened to be talking about my daughter who has seizures. I remember Christy saying to me “I don’t know how you do it, it seems so scary and I would not know what to do in your situation”. Today I look at Christy and it honestly brings tears to my eyes of how strong of a woman she is. She is such a powerful advocate for her daughter Kierra by making sure she can do everything for her that she can possibly can.

Today Christy works hard fund-raising for a Handicapped Van for the family. She works countless hours writing letters, contacting potential sponsors and taking care of Kierra.

Please check out the following sites that Christy has created for Kierra:

Kierra’s Fund-raising Facebook page is HERE
Kierra’s website is HERE
A recent article published about the family can be seen HERE

Please take the time to read her story and if you can, please donate. If you “like” her Facebook page you can view the upcoming fundraisers that are happening. On her webpage you can find the paypal donate button. Any and all amounts are appreciated.


Please pass this on to others, thank you.

Another reason I am writing this is to nominate her for a Makeover at Dolce Salon. If you are interested in writing a letter to Dolce for Christy please contact me, she deserves this more than anyone I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment